Brand Talk: A Happy Brand
A Happy Brand believes in the power of colors and therefore creates its basic garments in happy colors. We wanted to know more about the brand making us smile. We sat down with designer Katarina Irenius and talked about the company's philosophy, its work with sustainable production and the team’s love for children's garments.
HEY A HAPPY BRAND. HOW ARE YOU?
- We feel as good as possible under the corona circumstances, but think a lot about those who are in challenging situations. Here, we see the light at the end of the tunnel with vaccinations and hope we can soon socialize and work as usual. We want to visit our fantastic suppliers and partners!
TELL US ABOUT A HAPPY BRAND. WE WANT TO HEAR ALL ABOUT YOUR JOURNEY.
- We started A Happy Brand because we want to offer well-produced and organic basic clothing with a friendly price tag. We discovered that there was not really anyone else who did just that really well. Many of our garments are also made in bold and lovely colors, which our customers seem to appreciate. Colors make you happy!
WHERE DOES THE LOVE FOR CHILDREN'S CLOTHES COME FROM?
- When I had children myself, the love for children's clothes came and I noticed that it was really hard to find good basic clothes in classic colors with good quality. That's how the idea for A Happy Brand was born.
WHAT INSPIRES YOU?
- A lot, but above all happy children! There is nothing better. :-)
IF YOU WERE TO DESCRIBE THE BRAND IN THREE SENTENCES, WHAT WOULD IT LOOK LIKE?
- A Happy Brand produces timeless and neutral basic clothes in happy colors. Basic clothes that are produced as sustainably as possible and with good prices. Garments from A Happy Brand are made to last a long time, which makes the garments a good find, both new and used.
HOW DO YOU THINK ABOUT SUSTAINABILITY AND WHAT DO YOU DO TO IMPROVE IT?
- In our opinion, there are an incredible number of aspects of sustainability. What we think is most important and have largely chosen to focus on is to only choose organic materials. We create garments with a classic design, in colors that last over time, with functions that allow the garments to be used longer. For example, all our bodies have double rows of buttons in the crotch, all sleeves and legs on baby clothes can be folded to extend their fit so the kids won’t grow out of them as quickly. In 2021, we have also started the process of GOTS-certifying ourselves in addition to working with GOTS-certified suppliers to gain even better control over our supply chain. It is important to highlight that the production of new clothes today cannot be 100% sustainable, but that we do as much as we can to make it as good as possible. Another thing we focus on a lot is to take control of the entire supply chain, which means we are fully transparent about supplier information to our customers. We think that is very important!
CAN YOU TELL US A LITTLE ABOUT THE CREATIVE PROCESS?
- Our whole idea is based on creating garments that are durable and not too trend-focused or seasonal. Our idea is therefore to make timeless, classic models that last season after season. This means that our collections not only contain new designs but also previous models that we know are appreciated, cared for and used by our customers for a long time. You should be able to build a good basic wardrobe for your children with the help of our collections and find your favorites in our range that last for a long time. Children grow quickly and therefore the demands on durable garments become even greater for them. Nothing makes us happier than garments that are inherited by cousins and friends after you have grown out of them.
One of our strengths is also the close cooperation we have with our suppliers. We believe that this is core to the process and the key to creating garments that are loved and worn by many.
WHAT IS YOUR VISION FOR THE FUTURE? WHAT COMES NEXT?
- We hope for greater accessibility in more circular fashion! More flexible platforms for the sale of used clothes, more rental services such as Hyber. In other words, services that help us live with less wear and tear and more designs that stay relevant over time and are not as seasonal or trend-dependent. The idea is that our garments will be used for a long time and inherited by someone else.
WHAT DOES THE COMPANY'S PHILOSOPHY LOOK LIKE?
- A Happy Brand’s philosophy has always been to create comfortable and durable clothes for children. We are not very trend-bound, but the idea is that what we produce should be timeless and season-less. We take great joy in what we do and we hope this is seen by our customers.
THANKS! ONE LAST QUESTION, IS THERE ANYTHING YOU WOULD LIKE TO RECOMMEND?
- Yes, our small capsule collection that will be released in July with a pride-inspired heart pattern! Classic Happy garments with a tribute to the LGBTQI community!